Balsamic strawberries and lemon ricotta are heavenly flavors when paired together. Placing these beautiful toppings onto a wheat cracker verses a baguette gives that extra texture and saltiness this simple appetizer was screaming for. Bringing the salt, sweet and the savory all in one delicious bite. I would describe this as a light, sweet appetizer that is refreshing and tantalizing. I think this starter would be adorable for any party, shower or get together that would compliment a numerous assortment and variety of appetizers.
You may use any brand wheat cracker your heart desires. There is one obvious brand name wheat cracker that most house holds love, but for me I splurge on the Back To Nature harvest whole wheat crackers from Whole Foods. These wheat crackers have the perfect amount of crunchy texture and saltiness.
- Whole wheat crackers
- ½ cup ricotta
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- Sliced strawberries
- Balsamic vinegar
- Thinly slice strawberries and place in a bowl
- Drizzle balsamic over the strawberries and let them sit for 15-30 minutes before assembling
- In small bowl mix ricotta, lemon juice and sugar
- Top wheat cracker with ricotta mixture and a sliced strawberry
- Serve immediately