Cilantro is another food I have grown to appreciate as an adult. I never cared for the flavor before, but I believe I simply was not eating it in the right dishes. There are many cilantro lime rice recipes out there and it never stood out to me as something more than flavored rice for a taco or burrito. I began to play around with this side dish till I had the perfect combination of flavors to make my mouth say wow!
So excited to share this cilantro lime rice with you and claim it as one of the best I’ve had. The two secret ingredients that gave this dish it’s extra pop of flavor was the bay leaf and splash of lemon juice. The bay leaf gives the white rice extra flavor, while the lemon juice helps bring out more of that citrusy lime taste. Now, most cilantro lime rice does not call for green onion, but for myself it is a must have, giving this side more texture and beautiful flavor complimenting every component. Serve this dish at room temperature or as a cold side to any gathering for a side that will please a crowd.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Salt/ pepper
- Add the bay leaf and salt to your rice and water
- Cook white rice according to direction keeping it on the firm side
- Immediately when done cooking rice remove from heat and add olive oil, salt and pepper
- Set rice aside for about 15 minutes to cool
- While rice is cooling chop cilantro and green onions
- Add to the rice lime juice, lemon juice, cilantro, green onion and mix
- Test the seasonings and adjust if needed
- Serve immediately or refrigerate
- Enjoy warm or cold
If you like this recipe you may also want to check these out!