Currently Mommin like a boss this week, except for the fact that I broke my toe. This is my second toe breaking and unfortunately I broke the same exact toe eight years ago. I’m less emotional than I was the first time it broke, this time I immediately started icing, resting when possible and taped the toe, among other home remedies. Even with the little one’s making me hobble all day chasing them around, I mustered up the energy to make this Easy Sausage Cheese and Egg Casserole. This breakfast casserole is a scrumptious, simple and savory dish to please a crowd.
I have one secret ingredient that I use in this casserole, Whole Foods Bakery slider buns. Soft, airy, and buttery, it doesn’t get better than that. Then you have bites of warm sausage, with a perfect amount of ooey gooey cheese and egg in each bite. This Easy Egg Casserole is one your family is going to love to make over and over again. Simple and tasty are two combinations for the perfect breakfast, especially for those of us currently surviving this parenting thing or just if the bussyness of life has taken over.
As I’m typing this my children are behind me vacuuming the entire house. Yes, even the one year old with her Dyson Toy Vacuum that actually collects dog hair! Having a broken toe isn’t stopping me, I’m making delicious meals and all while having the kids help clean up. I’m currently feeling like “I GOT THIS!”, well, for the next few minutes at least. Then moments from now I’m sure someone will touch someone and the sibling rivalry will have me feeling defeated all over again, I’ll then hobble over to diffuse the situation with this useless toe.
BUT FOR NOW…
First, assemble everything for this Easy Sausage Cheese and Egg Casserole the evening before and refrigerate overnight. As soon as you wake up remove the casserole from the fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for fifteen minutes (while you make some delicious coffee). Then, in the oven goes the casserole to bake, while you sit down to enjoy that hot cup of coffee. The casserole will begin to perfume the air with a heavenly and delicious aroma, while your relaxing or possibly chasing your rambunctious children (like myself 😉 ).
This Easy Sausage Cheese and Egg Casserole is a classic and simple recipe your going to make over and over again.
- 1 lb mild pork sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 day old slider buns(or other bread of choice)
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside
- Crumbled and cook the sausage, drain and set aside to cool
- Slice rolls or bread into 1 inch pieces and layer evenly into your greased baking dish
- In a large bowl, mix with a fork or whisk the eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt and pepper (optional: cayenne pepper)
- Sprinkle cheese, cooled sausage over the bread and last pour over the egg mixture
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or preferably overnight
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until egg is cooked through in center of dish
- Garish before serving with freshly chopped parsley
- Special note: I personally make this and freeze half, that way later in the week when I'm baking my kids tater tots in the oven I place presliced frozen casserole along side, heat until warmed through
- Before freezing cut the casserole into slices, line large freezer safe Tupperware or glass container with parchment paper and space the casserole slices out, then another parchment paper over those and so on and so forth.