The coolest thing, my toddler wants to grow up and be a chef. Since the day he was born that kid sure could eat. His passion for food has always been there, but when he jumped up with his camera and started taking photos right along with me I was elated. It’s exciting to share a passion of mine with my child. Connecting, taking photos of the fried waffle mozzarella discussing how yummy it looked. He also helped prepare the appetizer with me all while his sissy slept. Moments like this where I’m able to balance being a mother and finding time for my passion feels unbelievably perfect. Then baby girl wakes, max begins to throw a tantrum and the kitchen is left in disarray until who knows when. I love being a mom, its the best combination of crazy joy and love all in one day.
I was scared attempting this food experiment wondering if the cheese would all melt and become one gooey pile in my waffle iron. I was overly happy to have perfect little crispy pieces of fried mozzarella come right out. The trick, lift with metal tongs and use metal spatula to transfer to flat surface. the slight basil taste in the bread crumbs pairs beautifully with the organic marinara sauce. You can’t go wrong when mozzarella, tomato and basil are combined and of course everything tastes delicious when it’s fried. What a fun snack or appetizer for the family to enjoy!
My Little Whisker, I pay him with hugs and kisses! 🙂
- ½ pound low moisture mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Canola oil spray
- Favorite marinara sauce for serving
- Preheat waffle iron to medium heat
- Slice the mozzarella about ½ inch thick
- Prep your three low bowls
- First bowl mix flour and paprika
- Second bowl lightly beat eggs
- Third bowl mix bread crumbs and dried basil
- Dip the mozzarella in that order the flour, then egg, then bread crumbs
- Spray waffle iron with canola oil spray
- Lay into the waffle iron as many mozzarella slices that fit without over crowding
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown
- Important note: do not check mozzarella for the first 60 seconds
- Gently lift with metal tongs and use metal spatula to transfer to flat surface.
- Serve warm with favorite marinara sauce