Never let bread go unused again. If the loaf is on it’s last day and your not in the mood for French toast then make these delicious croutons. The simplicity and quickness of this recipe is something to never pass up. You can use the croutons that day or over the next couple days adding into soups, salads or just popping in your mouth a few for a quick snack.
My everyday bread is always a French round loaf from Whole Foods. The bread tends to only last about three days before it need to be used. That’s ok with me since there are so many delicious things to add croutons to. My Oil Mister tool is something I love to use right before throwing them into the oven. I use it to help give that last even coat of oil to any spots I may have missed when tossing in the bowl with oil. This allows for even browning and an all over perfect crouton.
My ultimate favorite way to use these tasty croutons would have to be in a Classic Caesar salad with parmesan shavings. Either making a home made dressing for a more everyday use or going to my local Cheesecake Factory and buying a jar of their Caesar dressing. I usually splurge and buy this one if I’m having a party or get together, because it turns this everyday salad into something special that everyone is always impressed with.
- 6 large pieces of day old French bread
- Olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cut the bread into small pieces
- Put bread into a large bowl
- Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat evenly
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add pinch of red pepper flakes and mix
- Transfer to a baking sheet and spread out evenly
- Optional: at this point you can use your oil mister to add extra oil where needed
- Bake for 14-15 min watching closely at the end to achieve a light golden brown
- Store in air tight container or bowl with plastic wrap until use