Time to plan yourself a date night in! You absolutely do not have to go out to enjoy a beautiful meal. This spaghetti carbonara is a wonderful change from the usual date night dinner, spaghetti with marinara sauce and it is just as simple if not easier to make. This lovely pasta, a glass of wine and maybe a quick stop at the bakery for a chocolaty dessert is the combination of love. Every time I make this pasta I think of the first time I made it, I was sitting on the couch in my first apartment devouring each bite. In between bites I was repeatedly asking my husband who was sitting beside me if he loved this as much as I did. He of course loved it as he love’s many of my dishes!
Last anniversary my husband got home from work on a cold winter day to this spaghetti carbonara dish with a glass of wine beside it. During the meal we had our one and half year old at the table since we didn’t have a sitter, but it was still lovely. The glass of wine was not a usual meal time drink while having a toddler running around and the easiness of this dish allowed me to quickly prepare it without any tantrums in between. For our dessert I made a huge chocolate cake with fresh strawberries, being smart parents we saved the dessert for after our toddler went to bed. We all know the more sugar consumed before bed the later the toddler will fall asleep. This was our special day and we wanted a few minutes to ourselves before it was all over. As we sat there savoring our beautiful dessert I felt accomplished. Yes we have a child and could not get the night off, but I was still able to pull off a wonderful evening thanks to this lovely spaghetti carbonara.
P.S. I use both pancetta and bacon because I love the flavor combination and texture. You can use only bacon, only pancetta or the perfect combination of both, what ever your heart desires.
P.P.S. Just my opinion, but the leftovers make for the perfect guilty pleasure the next morning at breakfast. Bacon, eggs and cheese at its finest!
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 4 ounces pancetta diced small
- 8 slices of bacon
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan ramano cheese blend, plus more for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup reserved pasta water
- Cut bacon into small pieces cutting out excess fat if needed
- Whisk the eggs and yolks in small bowl and set aside
- Boil water in stock pot adding salt
- Cook spaghetti according to package till al dente or desired texture
- Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water
- In large pan cook pancetta and bacon until crispy
- Remove excess oil leaving 1-2 tablespoons in the pan
- Turn the heat off the pan and immediately add pasta to pan with pancetta and bacon
- SPECIAL NOTE: whisk a little pasta water to the eggs before adding into pan this helps so they do not scramble!
- Add eggs, mixing quickly (the hot pan should be enough to slightly cook the eggs while keeping them creamy)
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the hot pan and mix
- Add additional pasta water to desired consistency
- Add generous amounts of salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Serve immediately and top with extra grated parmesan ramano cheese