I’ve started a wall in the playroom devoted to only hanging canvas art work and I can’t wait to see that little wall covered in all my children’s adorable paintings. This Patriotic Canvas Painting idea came to me last minute, I was on the phone paying my numerous hospital and doctors bills from the past year, when every conversation ended with the same message “Have a great holiday weekend!” (referring to Memorial Day). This prompting me to grab my Self-Adhesive Removable Sheets and using my cookie cutters (or a stencil works) I began tracing stars. Then placed them carefully onto the canvas pressing firmly, I used washable paint which results in slight bleeding, but still turned out absolutely gorgeous. I’ve found in the past using acrylic paint causes less bleeding for this technique, but of course not as kid friendly for the younger kiddos.
So, after the phone calls were done I grabbed Maxwell and all of the supplies for this easy and fun craft. My son loved when he removed the star labels that he so generously painted over, revealing beautiful white stars. I love how the simplicity of things has no effect on the excitement level for kids. This enthusiasm for the little things in life seems to diminish with age, then again at some point in your adulthood (if you’re lucky) you regain this superpower of truly loving the little stuff.
My inspiration for the Patriotic Canvas Painting came from the canvas art project at my sons third birthday party(curious George Painting Party)
This idea turned out to be my favorite Canvas Painting thus far!
This Patriotic Canvas Painting is perfect for Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July or any time to show your American Pride!
- 1 8x10 canvas
- Avery Self-Adhesive Removable Laser Id Labels, White, 8.5 x 11 inches(found on Amazon and other retailers)
- Foam brush or paint brush of choice
- Blue and red paint(washable or acrylic)
- Paper or plastic plate
- Optional:Command Picture Hanging Strips by 3M
- Using either a stencil or different sized cookie cutters trace your stars onto removable adhesive paper
- Carefully cut the stars out with scissors
- After you decide placement for the stars, peel the backing on the paper gently
- Firmly press the adhesive paper to the canvas, making sure there are no bubbles or edges unpressed
- Pour your paints onto the plate
- Have child paint the canvas covering with red and blue paint
- Set aside to dry completely
- Once dry remove the stars and reveal your gorgeous canvas
- Optional: Hang your child's art work with Command Picture Hanging Strips by 3M