Penne with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Grilled Sausage in one word, tantalizing!
Conquering my fear of making pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes has been successful. The fact that no one I know has made fresh sauce(unless it was their grandma’s secret recipe that no one would share) gave me the impression it was an intimidating task. Well that is just false and I challenge everyone who has never made fresh sauce to try this recipe during the summer while the freshest roma tomatoes are available.
The first time I made this for friends it was delicious, but I quickly realized I did not add enough sausage. Originally adding only one pound, I upped it to just under two pounds of grilled sweet pork sausage. Of course you could use any sausage you like. I prefer to use Trader Joe’s sweet Italian sausages and cook them on the grill, then letting them rest while I get the pasta prepared. Right before serving I slice the sausage on a slight diagonal in to large pieces and throw it right into the pasta-topped with freshly grated parmesan.
Beautiful roma tomatoes, garlic, parmesan and basil over pasta with sausage-heavenly.
- 1 pound of penne pasta
- 1.75 pounds of grilled Italian sausage links (about 8 sausages)
- 6 Roma Tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan plus more for topping
- 2 large garlic cloves or 3 small
- ½ teaspoon dried basil or fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Grill Sausages on grill and transfer to plate when done and cover with foil
- Salt and boil water in two large stock pots (one for tomatoes one for pasta)
- Take the roma tomatoes and make an X on the bottom with a pairing knife very lightly
- Add the tomatoes slowly and cook for 1 min and 30 seconds
- Remover immediately and transfer to a large bowl filled with ice and water to stop them from cooking
- add penne pasta to water and cook according to package
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes and transfer to food processor or blender
- add to the blender the garlic, olive oil, parmesan, salt and pepper
- Blend until smooth consistency
- Mix in basil
- Drain pasta and mix with fresh sauce
- Slice sausages diagonally in large pieces and toss in with pasta
- Grate more fresh parmesan over before serving