Update… This American flag design is the perfect way to dress up one of mine and my toddlers favorite desserts, The Best Strawberries and Cream Cake! I hope this simple and delicious dessert becomes one of your Fourth of July traditions to make year after year!
Fire works are such a magical time every fourth of July. As I sit here typing this all I can think of is the excitement I had as a child watching the colorful show. It’s funny because that same excitement is still there as an adult. Just waiting for the grand finale that is so amazingly beautiful. Now being a mom of a toddler who can’t stay up late enough to watch no matter how hard I try, all I can do is pray they don’t startle and wake him. I can not wait till a year or two when I can see the excitement and joy on my child’s face for the incredible light show. So while I sit at home this fourth of July evening, the kid in me is impatiently waiting for that special time when I can share this wonderful holiday tradition with my little one!
The Best Strawberries and Cream Cake is another spin on my favorite Trader Joe’s vanilla cake & baking mix
Simply pour the cake mixture into a longer pan so you get a thin layer of sweet cake, topped with luscious and creamy cream cheese frosting. The perfect grand finale to this cream cake is the thinly sliced strawberries all on top, with a sprinkle of sugar all over to add extra sweetness. This cake is simple and beautiful. I can not compare this dessert to my Raspberry Cream Filled Cupcakes even though they have many similarities. This recipe takes a little less time than the cupcakes and is oh so delicious.
- 1 box Trader Joe Vanilla Cake & Baking Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick melted butter (1/2 stick) plus extra for baking pan
- 1 cup cold milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 2 pounds of strawberries
- Sugar for dusting
- Optional: Blueberries for flag cake and whip cream
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Lightly grease 9x13 inch cake pan
- In large mixing bowl add lightly whisked eggs melted butter and cold milk
- Add cake mix and whisk until smooth
- Pour into greased cake pan and bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in center
- Set cake aside to cool
- Once cake has almost cooled start cream cheese frosting
- Add room temp butter and cream cheese into large bowl or stand mixer and beat until well incorporated
- Add vanilla and then powder sugar blending until a smooth consistency
- Carefully dollop small amounts at a time onto the top of the cake spreading the cream cheese evenly
- Then slice strawberries thin layering them as you go overlapping them slightly (or decorate with blueberries and strawberries for your American Flag cake)
- Finally sprinkle sugar lightly over all the strawberries for extra sweetness and to release some of the juices
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated
- Important: 30 minutes before serving remove from fridge and allow to sit at room temperature before serving
- Special note: Flag Cake, If you would like the white cream in between the berries brighter you can pipe (use a pastry bag with the star attachment) fresh whipping cream or buy canned whip cream. Add the whip cream just before serving.