So it’s my birthday! Not just any birthday, I’m officially thirty. I have mixed emotions about turning thirty, I’m happy and shocked. Shocked for how fast time is going by and happy because I’m blessed to have lived this long. I’m defiantly not pouting that I’m older, but currently throwing myself a little pity party because I can’t have the night off to go out and celebrate. Which is unusual for myself, every year enjoying a nice quiet dinner with my family is all that I want. Having a toddler and a newborn at home makes it too difficult to leave overnight and really be able to relax quite yet. Having them both is also what makes me want to celebrate more this year. I have survived being a mommy to two adorable little blessings that fill my heart with joy and drive me completely bonkers with all their demanding requests and tantrums. LOL! I just need a break and will have one afternoon to go out and pull together all the sanity I can, while I relax and just enjoy the day. It could rain, snow, sleet or be shinning so bright that day, but no matter what the weather is like I’m going to enjoy every last minute. No screaming or crying for one afternoon will defiantly lift my spirits. Then I can go back home and squeeze my babies so hard like I haven’t seen them in weeks. Recharging me to be the best mommy I can until another break is desperately due.
Birthdays are all about favorite things, this Tortellini Bake with Bacon Chicken and Asiago Cream Sauce is mine and also my families new favorite recipe. A delicious combination of garlic, creamy asiago, crispy bacon, grilled chicken and pasta filled with more delicious cheese. To make the dish even more perfect top with more asiago cheese before baking. This may just become one of your families favorite meals to enjoy.
You could easily add fresh cooked or frozen spinach to this dish!
- 1 22 ounce frozen bag of 365 (whole Foods Brand) organic cheese tortellini (or other favorite brand)
- 2 chicken breast
- 6-8 bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons reserved bacon fat (can substitute with olive oil or butter)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 3½ cups of freshly grated asiago cheese
- ¼ cup freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Split chicken breast lengthwise, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder coating each side of the breast
- Grill chicken on grill or grill pan (I use my Breville Panini Grill)
- Chop chicken into medium bite sized pieces
- In large stock pot boil and salt water for tortellini and cook until al dente
- Cut bacon into small bite sized pieces and cook until crispy in medium sized pan
- Remove bacon from pan setting aside on paper towel
- Sauté garlic in the remaining 2 tablespoons bacon fat for about 1 minute on low heat, being careful not to burn the garlic
- Add the heavy cream and chicken stock bringing to a simmer
- Turn heat very low and slowly add 2½ cups asiago cheese, parsley, pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Stir until cheese is melted
- Combine the chicken, asiago cream sauce and tortellini and then transfer to a 9x9 baking dish or similar size
- Top with remaining 1 cup of asiago cheese
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until sides are bubbling and hot and cheese is melted all over
- Once removed from the oven top with crispy bacon and serve!