I just could not wait to post these! There are no grammar corrections and this is on total impulse to post (I’ll make time for corrections later), but I rather not wait incase any moms want to make this for Sunday. Just this afternoon I made these sandwiches with my toddler and he could not stop eating them. He placed each and every piece of broccoli that feel off of the sandwich back on, enjoying each bite. Creating a connection for love of healthy foods from a young age is important. I truly believe that in the first five years of life, the foods we try and have positive experiences to relate with will encourage you to eat more of these foods as an adult. I can remember eating oatmeal with a raison smile face my mom had placed on it. For me (as a small 3 year old) it was a magical moment, even though I didn’t care for my oatmeal I ate every last raison in that smile. Ants on a log was a snack our class created in preschool. I still remember that moment like it was yesterday, spreading the peanut butter onto the celery and adding each raison as it were a little ant crawling across(funny that sounds gross if you think about it), but to a young child it brings food to life.
The part that made me most impressed with this little creation was not how adorable they looked, but how I truly enjoyed eating these with my son. These sandwiches would be great for many occasions including tea party for little girls, afternoon lunch craft, Easter appetizer, summer party, kids birthday party etc.. When ever you choose to make the sandwiches its a wonderful way to create a happy memory involved with healthy foods that your child will always remember.
I found my perfect little carrot cookie cutter at Crate and Barrel. If you can not wait to do this craft with your little one make sure to get your carrot cookie cutter sooner rather than later, because after Easter they tend to disappear.
- Slices of honey wheat bread or other favorite soft bread
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped broccoli
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- carrot cookie cutter
- In small saucepan place the shredded carrots and water
- Cover bringing to a boil and steam for about 3-4 min (carrots should reduce to about 1 cup after steaming)
- Set aside and allow the carrots to cool
- Using a small food processor or blender add mayo, cream cheese, carrots, lemon juice, salt and pepper blending till smooth consistency
- Chop broccoli using only the tops very finely
- Take the bread slices and cut using the carrot cookie cutter
- Spread desired amount of cream cheese mixture onto one entire side evenly
- Take the broccoli and place at the top of the carrot
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese onto the bottom of the carrot
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Remaining mixture refrigerate and use to make more later
- Makes about 25 mini sandwiches